Monday, April 8, 2013

The conditionals



What do I know about conditionals?

A conditional it´s a kind of sentence determinated by the word "if". This conditional provides another sense to the phrase than can be an implication, almost in the future.

There are four (4) basic forms of "if" clauses.


What would I like to know about conditionals?

1. How I have to use this kind of expressions and what moment if clause it is need or not.

2. In what cases I have to apply this If expressions.

3. Understand all the "if" types and apply them in a real context.


What is a conditional?

A conditional is a sentence (clause), a phrase that has a consequence. Therefore, a conditional is like an hypothetical situation.
  

How many types of conditionals are there?

There are four types basically:

0.    IF + Present simple  =  Present simple 
1.    IF + Present simple  =  Will 
2.    IF + Past simple  =  Would  
3.    IF + Past perfect  =  Would have 



Type of Conditional
Description
When do we use it?

Structure
Examples

(with different possible structures)
If Clause
Consequence Clause


Zero
When it is logic and true that the situation will happen.
If + Present simple.
Present simple.
If you freeze water, it becomes ice.

Plants die if they don’t get enough water.

First
When the expression has a big possibility to happen.
If + Present simple.
Future tense (will).
If you love me, I will love you.

Second
When the situation happen in a big hypothetical way.
If + Past simple.
Would.
If you died in an accident, I would die with you.

Third
An hypothetical situation in the past.
If + Past perfect.
Would have.
If She had studied stronger, She would have passed the exam.


No comments:

Post a Comment